Saturday, May 12, 2007

Why do I create sculptures?


Initially, I want my viewers to look at my sculptures and say “What the bleep is that?”

Then I would like them to be intrigued enough to look more and walk around the entire sculpture to really take the time to figure it out, interpret it, and reflect upon what they have seen. Some of my sculptural styles range from the Classical ideal of allegorical figure representation, to the Romantic principle of expressing emotional states through Form. Impressionist effects come from dependence on the way light falls upon the forms to suggest musculature and bone structure. Therefore I enjoy expanding this impression of form to express the inner condition of humanity.

Often I enjoy sculpting clouds just for the fun of it!

Sometimes I avoid being too literal or representational by showing the suspended or fleeting moment or I use unnatural distortions and parts of figures to suggest human striving against fateful forces thereby creating emotional or psychological effects.

Favorite sculptors?
Egyptian, Greek Cycladic, Hellenistic Greek, Michelangelo, Bernini, Barye, Rodin, Boccocini, Brancusi, Giacometti and Hans Arp. As you can see, in the past Sculpture was the most used and popular form of Art, from the very Ancient times to modern days for a very good reason: it's most everlasting and monumental character. Without the Acadian, Assyrian, Babylonian, Egyptian, Persian monuments and Art sculptures, Archeology and history in general would not be the same.

Please keep visiting this Blog - there is so much untapped potential in this visual art-form, the computers are robbing us from the beauty and glory of a good, everlasting Sculpture.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey James, I had never seen anybody creating clouds. What a great idea! I really like your work.

S.R. said...

James,
your new works are indicative of a calm state of mind with a continuous flow that can be traced through your life's ongoing process.
your new Sculptures are indicative of those thoughts.

Can't wait to see more.
S.R.